Wednesday 3 August 2011

What can I say? Sometimes I'm a bit slow...

Thanks to some random and unrelated Googling, I accidentally discovered that the Carmichael Watson project has a blog.

Given the time of year an' all, I thought I'd just leave a pointer to a very handy article on the tradition of the Corn Dolly (or Cailleach) in Scotland:

Once a widespread European custom was to form a corn dolly or maiden out of the last sheaf at harvest time. Traditions of such customs were still in living memory during the 1960s in Scotland, and perhaps they are still being carried out in some parts of Europe.
I really should pay more attention to these things. Lots of good stuff there...

2 comments:

nefaeria said...

Thanks! Although this tempted me to stay on the computer a little longer. I really should be getting some work done! ;)

Treasa said...

Ooo awesome find! And, I'm slow too as I had no idea they had a blog either lol.